Saturday 26 May 2012

A candidate asked me why I thought it would be a good idea to have all of his jobs on his CV???

And I answered with the following 5 reasons:
  
  • You never know what a Recruiter is looking for. You may not have been successful for the current job, but now that they have seen all your experience, you may just match the next job that comes in.

  • Some recruiters will need all of this information to complete their recruitment process, and with the stress of an interview you may not remember all the exact details. (This uncertainty generally does not inspire confidence in your job application)

  • So that your dates of employment add up! Recruiters are trained to look for gaps in employment (when I was trained on how to interview I was told to wonder if you were in jail during that period?)

  • Recruiters have a vetting check that tells them where you have worked. If it comes up with different jobs, a recruiter will question what went wrong at that company, that made you decided to leave them off your CV. (HHHMMM were you fired?)

  • If you don’t recognize the experience then why should they? I can’t begin to tell you the amount of times I have regretted candidates, because they don’t have the required experience and then they say “Oh! Actually I do have that experience but it is not on my CV!” (Seriously are you telling me the truth do you really have that experience?)

Yes I know this sounds extremely cynical; but you have to remember that so many candidates lie on their CV’s and in the interview process, so that the Recruiters are always looking out for that little white lie in your job application.
And yes; your reasons for not putting them on may be valid, but beware if it comes out at a later stage, it will put doubt on you application.
These additional jobs don’t have to take up your whole CV, but put in a one liner to say you worked there and expand and highlight on the jobs that you want to sell to the Recruiter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment!